Over mij

Mijn foto
My name is Sabrina Carty and I'm a 19 year old Communication and Media student. I am currently studying abroad in the Netherlands. I was born and raised on the island of St. Maarten and at the age of 18 moved to the Hague to get an higher education. It has so far been a wonderful and cultural experience especially since I have come to meet so many international people as well.

donderdag 24 oktober 2013

Foreign NOMs NOMs

Although it is not as interesting as the topics I may have discussed before, I find it just as important especially students who are just beginning their "independent life" or "life away from home". Let's face the facts, when leaving the nest, along with its home cooked meals, it is hard to surviving off of the "pizza and noodles" diet.

Sure, I cooked back home, and yes I enjoyed it partially, but those days when you felt exhausted or you  just weren't in the mood to play chef, those leftovers in the fridge made by a family member or whom ever it may be, tasted and felt pretty good.

In the present scenario, if you didn't make it, you're most likely not going to find it your fridge. I have gotten over the fact that I would have to cook for myself daily, pretty quickly. I genuinely enjoy cooking but for those who don't like it as much, I suggest cooking big portions, not only will you not have to cook every day, due to satisfying leftovers from these big portions, but it would probably be cheaper than cooking smaller meals everyday.

Grocery shopping is my weak point. In other words I'm not a smart bargaining shopper, especially in a new country, where everything is different brands, products, vegetables etc. However i strongly advise trying out local brands instead of imported ones seeing that these are cheaper. It's a great idea to check out local markets that are selling seasoned vegetables & fruits at really good prices. Make weekly grocery plans instead of going daily, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

When it comes to cooking never be afraid to experiment, and recipes and cookbooks will be your best friend in the first couple of months. Lastly, cooking can be something enjoyable, cook together with friends or maybe even cook a dinner for friends.

Any tips, advice, comments, stories or even pictures about some of your experiences studying abroad are highly welcomed!!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten